Fred Blessed Dumasi
Municipal Environmental Health and Sanitation Officer
Environmental Health and Sanitation
The Environmental Health and Management Department has the mandate to ensure that all factors that tend to have adverse effects on human health in the environment are brought under control. It therefore behoves the Environmental Health Department,
The purpose of the Environmental Health Department is to ensure the prevention of any hazard or negative impact the environment may have on man.
The department is therefore to assess, correct, control and prevent those factors in the environment which can adversely affect the health of both present and future generations.
SERVICES PROVIDED BY THE ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH AND MANAGEMENT DEPARTMENT
a. THE FRONTLINE OFFICERS
The frontline officers of the Environmental Health and Sanitation are responsible for enforcing environmental health standards within the GA South Municipality.
The specific responsibilities of these officers are as follows:
1. Creating and maintaining a database on all premises of environmental importance to the metropolis.
2. Inspection of all premises identified for their state of sanitation and public health e.g. Domiciliary, Health care, Industries, Hospitality industries, Schools, Shops etc to ascertain as to their state of sanitation and necessary action taken for their remedy.
3. Monitoring environmental sanitation facilities and activities.
4. Compilation and reporting of problems requiring inter-sectoral collaboration.
5. Management of complaints.
6. Providing health education and promotion activities.
b. HOW TO ACHIEVE THE ABOVE
1. Serving on the central management Board.
2. Providing leadership direction to the sub teams.
3. Collating and analyzing data.
4. Identifying priority or generalizing problems.
5. Producing local plans of action.
6. Creating and maintaining a database on all premises of environmental health importance.
7. Monitoring environmental health activities in the metropolis. e. g. burial grounds, pet and pest control, poultry and livestock rearing.
8. Carrying out pre-inspection of facilities on behalf of the sub-metro for registration by EHMD and licensing by the Assembly.
9. Compilation and reporting of outcomes and problems requiring inter-sector collaboration.
10. Monitoring and management of complaints.
11. Planning health promotion activities in support of programmes being implemented.
12. Interpreting sanitation bye-laws to the general public.
c. SPECIALISED UNITS OF THE EHMD
Apart from the field and sub-metro officers, there are a number of other units within the EHMD whose responsibilities and line of command are outlined as follows:
1. ABATTOIR/SLAUGHTER HOUSE/ SLAUGHTER SLABS
They carry out post mortem inspection of carcasses and ensure healthy environmental conditions within the meat processing facilities.
2. THE MARKET SANITATION TEAM
staff are assigned to the market to ensure good sanitation and food hygiene and safety.
3.THE HOSPITAL SANITATION TEAM
Staff are assigned to the health care facilities to assist them put in place measures to address all environmental health conditions.
4.THE SEXTON AND HIS TEAM;
Are staff assigned to manage public cemeteries and ensure the proper disposal of the dead.
These are labourers pooled together and organized into a gang to provide services like grass cutting, desilting and other services that may arise.
6.THE PROSECUTION TEAM
staff assigned to the courts to ensure the prompt prosecution of sanitary offenders.
7.THE PORT HEALTH TEAM
Officers assigned to take care of environmental health problems and other public health problems at the Airport.
e. HOW THE PUBLIC CAN ACCESS THESE SERVICES
The general public can access these services by contacting the Environmental Health and Sanitation office of the Assembly.
Phone: +233 (0)30 290 8466